3 Tips to Prevent Electrical Corrosion

RedbeaconHome GuidesElectrical > 3 Tips to Prevent Electrical Corrosion
3 Tips to Prevent Electrical Corrosion

Electrical corrosion in your home usually means your electrical panel and electrical connections are beginning to rust and deteriorate. You want those things to always be in tip-top condition because when they’re not, not only is electricity is probably not flowing properly through your home, you could be putting yourself at risk for electric shock or fire.

 

Moisture is usually to blame for electrical corrosion. You could have a leak in your home or a ventilation problem that exposes your wiring to moisture. Moisture could also cause copper wiring to oxidize, leaving a green film on it (you may have seen this happen on pennies).

 

Most experts agree that the best offense against electrical corrosion is a good defense. That means you should try to make it your business to be sure the corrosion doesn’t have a chance to begin in the first place.

 
  1. Most experts agree that the best offense against electrical corrosion is a good defense.

    1.Inspect often

    Don’t let the only time you look at your home’s electrical panel and wiring be when something goes wrong. Conduct periodic checks throughout your house. Examine your home’s electrical panel to make sure that it is clean and everything appears to be in good condition. When you are changing the batteries in your smoke detector, take a few minutes to inspect its wiring, too. And don’t forget your outdoor lights and garage. Because they’re more exposed to the elements, they can age faster than things that always stay inside your home.

  2. 2.Keep water out

    Because moisture is a key cause of corrosion, it’s your job to keep it out. A regular inspection routine will help you spot water where it shouldn’t be. If you have outdoor wiring, make sure there are no places where rainwater or water from gardening can collect. Inside your home, be on the lookout for damaged pipes or cracks and leaks in your walls and foundation. If you do notice a leak and it’s near your wiring, call in a professional as soon as you can to fix it. Don’t try to fix anything yourself.

  3.  
  4. 3.Tool you can use

    Dialectic grease is a great way to help prevent moisture from collecting around your wiring. The grease seals out moisture and is tough enough to withstand electric your wiring. You can also purchase electrical contact cleaner for anywhere for $7 to $13. Make sure to always, always turn off your circuit or appliance before you attempt to clean anything. Failure to do so could result in electric shock.

     

    Electrical corrosion can seriously damage your home’s wiring. Like anything in your home, it works as well as you work to maintain it. Keep your electrical system corrosion free and you’ll keep your life as a homeowner headache free.

Have a question? Get an answer from a qualified expert within 24 hours

5 pros ready to answer
7019 answered questions

Help our expert answer you better

The more descriptive your question is, the more thorough our experts can be with their answers.

Ask an Electrician Expert for prompt advice!

Get a Free Answer